8 1/2 inch slices Portuguese roll (or crusty baguette of choice)
4 slices smoked ham
4 slices swiss cheese
1/2 cup honey (divided in two 1/4 cups)
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 ripe plantain
1. Heat small pan with two inches of oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and slice plantain into 8 one inch slices. Carefully drop in oil and fry until golden (3-5 minutes).
2. In small sauce pan heat 1 tablespoon butter with 1/4 cup honey. Brush bread slices with olive oil and place on baking sheet in 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 4 minutes, remove and top with 1/2 slice of ham and then with 1/2 slice of cheese, return to oven just until cheese melts (2-3 minutes).
3. Remove bread slices and place on plate. Place plantain slices in honey mixture and coat. In another small saucepan heat 1 tablespoon butter, 1/4 cup honey, pecans and cayenne pepper.
4. Stir and heat on medium until butter is fully melted and incorporated.
5. To plate place honey coated plantain next to open faced sandwich and drizzle both with spicy, pecan honey sauce. Enjoy!
© 2011 VICKI FERENTINOS
Posted on AllTopChef.com