2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup superfine flour, such as Wondra
6 flanken-style short ribs with bones, cut 2 inches thick (about 4 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
3 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
1 habanero pepper, thinly sliced with seeds removed
2 cups dry white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc
4 thyme sprigs
2 quarts chicken stock
Fresh herbs such as parsley, chervil or lovage, garnish
Haitian style Stewed Vegetables:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 eggplant, chopped into 2-inch cubes
1 large head of cabbage, remove outer leaves, core and chop into 2-inch pieces
20 ounces frozen lima beans
2-3 peeled and sliced carrots, into 2-inch pieces
1 chayote squash
1 pound fresh chopped spinach
1 bunch watercress, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 cube Maggi seasoning cube (optional)
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and coat with the Wondra flour. Add them to the skillet and cook over high heat, searing on all sides until browned and crusty, about 18 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a cast iron Dutch oven in a single layer.
2. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and habanero to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Add the wine, chicken stock and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the hot marinade over the ribs.
3. Preheat the oven to 325degrees Fahrenheit. Cover the ribs and cook in the lower third of the oven for 2 hours, until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Uncover and braise for 1 more hour turning the ribs once or twice, until the sauce is reduced by about half and the meat is very tender.
4. Transfer the meat to a clean shallow baking dish, discarding the bones as they fall off. Strain the sauce into a heatproof measuring cup and skim off as much fat as possible.
5. Heat the sauce over medium heat until reduced by half. Season to taste and serve over short ribs. Garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley, chervil or lovage.
Haitian style stewed vegetables:
1. Heat the oil over medium heat, add the garlic, parsley, cabbage and eggplant, next add the lima beans. Add the carrots and chayote – allow to steam until somewhat tender, then add spinach and watercress. Add the chicken broth.
2. Let cook for another 10-20 minutes.
3. Taste, adjust seasonings. Add Maggi cube (optional).
4. Taste again, and adjust all the seasonings.
© 2011 VANESSA CANTAVE
Posted on AllTopChef.com